- New Vortex fast-scan technology - Unsurpassed ground clutter suppression with low false alarm rate - Long range radar suited to fixed, mobile and portable applications - Modular scanning from 90° to 360° - Detects moving vehicles and persons - Fully electronic scanning (E-Scan) for ultra-high reliability - Excellent coverage across all types of terrain
Blighter surveillance products address a broad range of security requirements in the defence, homeland security and civil/commercial markets.
Blighter radars are part of a range of advanced Plextek technologies that provide class-leading protection against both conventional and asymmetric/terrorist threats.
Blighter B400 series radars scan and detect moving vehicles and persons (including 'crawlers') over a wide area and provide exceptional range performance out to 32 km.
Detected targets are reported via wired or wireless TCP/IP network connections, allowing target recognition and identification through the automatic slew-to-cue of optional cameras or thermal imagers.
Accurate positional information is reported, including target lat/long co-ordinates, range and bearing.
The data bandwidth required for target output and radar control is very low.
The B400 series is Plextek's latest generation of e-scan ground surveillance radars (GSR). E-scan radars have no moving parts to wear-out, maintain or replace and offer dramatic improvements in reliability. Blighter radars are all-in-one fully integrated units comprising antennas, signal processing, plot extractor, GPS and compass. Angular coverage is provided in modular units of 90°. Blighter radars are proven to withstand harsh environmental conditions and provide many years of maintenance free operation. The radar operates in all weather conditions and includes a built-in precipitation filter that suppresses false detections from rain or snow. Day/night 24-hour operation is fully supported.
Low-power FMCW Doppler Technology
Blighter radars incorporate a unique combination of FMCW and Doppler processing technology, ensuring unsurpassed ground clutter cancellation with the ability to detect incredibly slow movement. Radio transmission power is very low, making the radar safe for human operation and difficult to intercept (i.e. electronically covert). Power consumption is low, allowing operation from battery, vehicle or mains. Wide Elevation Beam
In order to maximize long-range detection performance, radars are typically mounted high on a tower or on top of a hill. However, when mounted in this way, the narrow vertical elevation beam of traditional radars results in the problem of ‘dead ground’ close to the radar. Blighter radars benefit from having a very wide vertical elevation beam, allowing them to simultaneously detect targets in the distance as well as close-up. In complex mountainous regions, the Blighter radar’s wide elevation beam also ensures that hill tops and valleys can be scanned simultaneously, without the need to physically tilt the radar. Over flat land and calm water, the wide beam also provides rapid detection of low flying manned and unmanned aircraft including planes, helicopters, UAVs, microlights and hang gliders.
- Radar type: E-scan Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW) Doppler Ground Surveillance Radar (GSR) - Frequency band: Ku band - Scan type: fully electronic scanning in azimuth (‘e-scan’) - Transmitter power (nominal): 1 Watt (standard-power transmitter version) or 4 Watt (high-power transmitter version) - Multi-radar operation: supported and unlimited - Embedded software and firmware: field-upgradeable via network connection
Target Detection Performance
- Maximum detection ranges: - Crawling person (RCS 0.1 m2): 4.5 km (2.8 mi.)* - Walking person (RCS 1 m2): 10.3 km (6.4 mi.)* - Moving vehicle (RCS 30 m2): 16.0 km (9.9 mi.)* - Large moving vehicle (RCS 100 m2): 27.3 km (17.0 mi.)* - Large moving vessel (RCS 1,000 m2): 32.0 km (19.9 mi.)* - Maximum targets per scan: 700 - False Alarm Rate (FAR): 1 false-alarm per day - Minimum detectable target radial speed: 0.37 km/h (0.23 mph) * Radar fitted with M10S long-range antenna horns and high-power transmitter
- Instrumented maximum range: 5, 8, 16 or 32 km (3.1, 5.0, 9.9 or 19.9 mi.) - Instrumented minimum range: less than 10 m (33 ft.) - Azimuth scan angle: 90° (B402), 180° (B422), 270° (B432) or 360° (B442) horizontal e-scan - Elevation beam: 10° or 20° vertical beamwidth - Mean scan rate: from 3.3°/s to 90°/s Target Output & Identification
- Data format: QZ (custom, open-standard data format) or XML over TCP/IP - Audio modes: Continuous, Grab or Fence - Range window size (Point or Wide): 20 m or 160 m (66 ft. or 525 ft.) Connectivity & Software - Main I/O interfaces (for radar control & target data): 10/100 Ethernet network interface OR optional IEEE 802.11b Wireless LAN) - Auxiliary I/O interfaces: RS-232 and RS-422 control lines, opto-isolated control/status inputs and isolated switched contact outputs - Software (SDK): API software library (Windows) and generic Interface Control Document (ICD) are both available to System Integrators
Electrical - Battery/regulated-PSU input range: from 12 V to 28 V (DC) - Vehicle supply input range:from 12 V to 33 V (DC) - Power consumption (from 12 V regulated-PSU)*: 38.4 W (average) - Endurance*: 10 to 12 hours continuous operation from dual 2590-type batteries
* Standard-power transmitter version only Physical, Environmental & Reliability
- External dimensions of radar unit(s)(W x H x D)*: 666 mm x 503 mm x 128 mm (26.2 in. x 19.8 in. x 5.0 in.) - Weight of main radar unit*: approximately 25 kg (55 lb.) - Weight of auxiliary radar unit(s)*: approximately 21 kg (46 lb.) - Operating temperature: from -30° C to +60° C (from -22° F to +140° F)Note: extended operating temperature version available - IP rating: IP65 (dust tight and protected against water jets) - MIL-HDBK-217-F: 10,000 - In-service reliability (estimated): in excess of five years
* Excluding antenna horns, mountings and solar shield Errors and omissions excepted. Plextek reserves the right to modify specifications without notice. Blighter radars are protected by a number of international patents. The Blighter name is an international registered trademark.
Copyright 2008 - International Armour, All rights reserved